Sunday, February 26, 2012

DIY Vanilla Extract

I started making my own vanilla extract when I was in college and on a much tighter budget than I am now. I did some research and found that it is extremely easy to make and super cost effective. Plus it I personally feel if gives more vanilla flavor to whatever your making that store bought extract, and saves you a bunch of money. You basically need 3 items which you can get for under $5: stick vanilla beans, liquor, and a jar. I personally save every glass jar that comes into my kitchen so I have one that I reuse to make my vanilla extract.

So what do I do?
Now all you are going to do is add these things together, shake, and wait. That simple!

What type of liquor?
For picking your liquor, I personally prefer vodka because of its neutral or flavorless quality allowing the vanilla to really do it's thing and come through. You can try experimenting with many different type of liquor, some people prefer to use rum, but whatever liquor you choose make sure it is AT LEAST 80 proof (or 40% alcohol.) I prefer 100 proof. You won't need to worry about anything having a "alcohol" taste to it because when heated sufficiently, the alcohol burns off leaving you with just the aromatic and flavorful vanilla essence.

Where can I find whole vanilla beans?
Sometimes you need to shop around for this. I find that buying from a tea shop or herb supply/holistic store is going to give you the best product and cheapest cost. I usually am able to purchase 1-3 bean for less than $1 at a tea and herb shop nearby my house. Some people have a few online sources that they like but I haven't done enough research to point you in the proper direction. If you have a great online resource for herb and spices please feel free to comment below.

How do I prepare it?
Preparing your vanilla extract is simple.

Your first step is to prepare your glass jar by sterilizing it. You can do this by placing the jar open side down in a pot of boiling water. Make sure to sterilize the lid as well. Let them boil for 10 minutes to completely sterilize. Once the jar is sterilized and cool you can prepare your extract.

For every 1-3 vanilla beans, depending on their size, you will need 1 cup of liquor. Cut the beans open lengthwise with a pair of scissors or a sharp kitchen knife to expose the beans and place in a clean glass jar that has been sterilized. The cover your beans with liquor. Make sure the jar seals tightly and give it a few shakes.

Once prepared, you will need to place the jar in a dark, cool cabinet and leave it there for around 2 months, shaking it one or two times each week. Over time you will see the liquid getting darker. (If you used rum, don't be surprised if it does not appear to get that much darker as the liquor its self is a darker color.)

After 2 months, feel free to use and enjoy it often. One of the best things about this is that you can continue to add to it by refreshing it with vanilla beans and liquor. Because it's primarily alcohol it can last a seeming eternity. So go on now, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment