Monday, February 20, 2012

Crockpot Kale Soup

I am the soup queen in the winter. It's magically all I crave and all I want to eat. Warm. Delish. Soup. So with today being a holiday and a day off from work I decided to make some soup to last me for the next two weeks or so. I mean in all honesty, I wind up freezing 90% of what I make and soup is no exception. 

When it comes to soups it is a labor of love but there is no need to over-complicate it. Feel free to swap things in and out as you please. If you want to make a vegetarian kale soup, leave out the meats and use vegetable stock or just plain old water. One of the things you may want to do however, is soak your beans over night. Why? Because let's face it, beans can make you gas-y. If you want to cut down on some of that believe it or not, soaking beans can help remove indigestible complex sugars. It will also significantly cut down on your cooking time preserving nutrients and proteins that makes beans so beneficial. All you need to do is rinse and sift through your beans like you normally do and then cover with and leave to soak over night. In the morning rinse them and you are good to go.

Kale after being prepped
Sliced Potatoes
These are the meats I used

Another thing I do to save some prep time is make the most out of my prep machine. I love my prep machine. If you don't have one and cook often, consider getting one. All I needed to do for this recipe, is peel and prep the veggies and meats, pop in my slicing disc, and send everything through the machine. Even the kale and potatoes. Plus the thinner the potatoes the fast they cook.

So, this is the recipe I used. Feel free to adapt it and make it your own after all, that's half the fun right?

Crock Pot Kale Soup
Your crockpot will look full once everything is added and raw
for a 5 qt crock pot

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 head of kale, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 2 potatoes, cubed or sliced
  • 2 links of linguica, sliced
  • 2 links of chorizo, sliced
  • 2 cups red kidney beans, soaked
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 32oz organic beef flavored culinary stock (substitute with bouillon cubes)
  • Water
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Steps:
  1. Add stock to crockpot. Add in ingredients one by one stirring after each addition. Cover ingredients with water.
  2. Set crock pot to high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours and wait.
  3. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.

The finish product.

No comments:

Post a Comment