Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ginger-Carrot Soup

If you don't care for ginger and don't really like carrots, you might want to stop reading now.

Tonight I decided I needed a soup. One I haven't enjoyed in a long time. Enter ginger-carrot soup. The ingredients listed below are as the recipe calls for them. I have a bad habit of never measuring things for soups or stews. I usually just grab 2.5lbs of carrots, 1/2 a large onion, and 2inches of ginger root. Tonight I also substituted the vegetable broth with chicken broth because it was all I had and I was entirely to tired to run to the store. I truly tasted no difference. Also I omitted the sour cream topping because I didn't feel it was entirely necessary, and my lazy butt didn't have any. =]

This is such an easy soup to make and it reheats well. So I doubled the recipe and I'm freezing 3/4 of it. Since I am a single lady, I do this with a lot of stuff so I essentially have a freezer full of frozen foods I can reheat whenever. Cheaper than frozen dinners, healthier, and tastier too.

CAUTION: When you are blending, please please please be careful. If your blender doesn't seal well and you don't wait a little bit for your mixture to cool you might have an explosion of gingery carrot goodness all over your kitchen! Since I doubled my batch, when I got to the second blender-full I got lazy and didn't wait for my mixture to cool a little bit before attempting to overfill my blender. So even though my blender has a great seal, I made a mess.

Ginger-Carrot Soup

Ingredients

  • tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup yellow or white onion, chopped
  • tablespoons ginger, peeled and grated
  • 3 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
  • cups vegetable broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Reduced fat sour cream and chopped green onions for topping (optional)
 

Directions

  1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender and translucent. Add grated ginger and cook until fragrant.
  2. Add carrots, broth, nutmeg and salt and bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 15 minutes or until carrots are fork-tender. 
  4. Allow mixture to cool approximately 5 minutes. Carefully pour (or spoon) mixture into a blender and puree, adding water as needed to thin the mixture.
  5. Pour soup into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and chopped green onions, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment