Sunday, July 5, 2009

Knitting away...

I have been busy lately with odds and ends. Some school stuff. Some unnecessary stuff. But I have still had plenty of time to knit.

My great aunt Dorie taught me to knit back when I was 8 or 9. It has always been one of those things I do to relax when I get stressed. But I honestly hadn't done it in so long so when my friend Kayla and I decided to knit and crochet again I was excited. I've actually been more productive knitting than I have been with my beading lately, which is surprising.

First I made a few hats. I know, its summer in New England and not the best hat weather. But, I really wanted something to keep my long hair out of my face and off my back. So I made a very loosely knit almost hairnet-type beanie. But after wearing it a few times and being less than satisfied with it, I decided I wanted to make a long slouchie beanie. Something that was somewhat rasta looking. So I made one! I was actually really happy with how this one came out. The way the multicolored yarn wound up swirling around the beanie was awesome. I am going to make a few more, but I am going to make them with a brim and on the inside of the brim will be a ribbon one can tie to adjust the beanie to stay tighter on your head.

Last night I decided to try and make a bag. It took me a few hours to do but it was worth it. I was very pleased with the result and the colors really worked out well. My only issues is I wish I had made it a little wider. Right now it is about 8 inches wide, which is a pretty good size. I just kind of wanted to make it the size of a canvas tote bag. It still is super cute for a small beach bag or something. I'll be making more for sure. Maybe I will make a slouch beanie in this color since i have yarn left over. Perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment