Thursday, May 21, 2009

Urban Gardening - Day 1

The Urban Garden
Day 1


So many times I have heard people complaining about not being able to garden because they live in an apartment or they don't have a backyard. This summer I am setting out to disprove this thought with recycled products, organic seeds and plants, and a small budget.

The first thing I needed to do was set up a space right near a window where my plants would be able to get adequate sunlight. Since this apartment is so tiny, I also needed to be sure this window wouldn't disturb the other creatures living here. I decided to also devote a small table right under the window to my garden and my garden only. So once my location was picked and my gardening table was in place I was ready to go on a hunt for wonderful organics to grow.

My first stop was to a favorite place of mine Seven Arrows Farm. This place is fantastic. They have such a wonderful selection of uncommon plants, herbs, loose tea, and so much more! The staff there are always so pleasant and helpful. But before I get sidetracked, I should tell you I was like a kid in a candy store trying to pick out what I wanted. I decided to get a potted Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato plant and packaged seeds of chamomile, oak leaf blend lettuce, red rubin basil, pencil pod bean, and cilantro. I made my choices based on what doesn't need a lot of space to grow and what I love to cook with and eat.

So after picking up my seeds and plants I decided to head out to get some potting soil and random supplies. I was able to find some organic potting soil for $1.50 for 8lbs and a watering can for $3. I also decided to pick up some 2 disposable cookies sheets for $2. These will be good for catching excess water in my urban garden.

Now that I have all the supplied I need, time to get planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment