Thursday, May 28, 2009

Crochet Away

So last night I found myself standing in a craft store perplexed. I stood there wondering, if I know how to knit, can I crochet? Well ladies and gentlemen, we are going to find out!

So first of all when I think of crochet, the memories are different. I have fun memories of my great aunt trying to teach me this craft in a loving calm manner. She was a good teacher but I was to young to remember much of what she was showing me. The basics have stuck but that's about it. Then I also have memories from my time working in an Alternative High School where many of the girls would crochet when they became angry or upset. So I when I first started to crochet last night, I found myself chuckling a few times as I remembered these girls yelling angrily and in the midst of a verbal battle while crocheting away while also reflecting on the words of wisdom from my great aunt.

I went and picked up some basic starter crochet needles and a couple 100% cotton sugar 'n cream self striping balls. Armed with a pattern from the craft store and little to no experience, (and by that I mean I haven't done this since I was like.. 7) I set out to crochet.

After a few hours of trying to reacquaint myself with the materials, I was met with some success!

Using the 5mm needle and very basic stitches I managed to create a small catch bag I can use in my car to hold credit cards, my phone, ipod, or any other random item.

It may not be perfect, but I am pleased with my first attempt at this in a long time. So yes, I can crochet. And yes, I need more practice.

Time to go practice some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment